[meteorite-list] Mystery

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:07:05 2004

Hi all,
        I have a serious question:
        Well, this was the deal - I put up an image on my web site and
decided to try a Photoshop feature that is SUPPOSED to make images
much "smaller" in terms of data - and, therefore, download time. In
Photoshop, it is under save this image as...."for the internet" and it
makes it a "gif" instead of a JPG, and the "size" is listed at about
25% of a JPG, even though the dimensions are the same.
        Funny thing is, when Jim Hartman checked it out for me, he said
the GIF took about 4 times as long than the JPG! (With cable, everything
is "instant download," so, I can't tell)
        You all can check for yourself, if you like by going to my site,
scrolling down to DHURMSALA. Try clicking on the JPG and then on
the gif and see how long each one takes to come up.
        My question is: IF the gif is supposed to be using only 1/4 the
memory of the JPG of the same image of the same dimensions, then
WHY is it taking LONGER to download than the JPG???
       Anybody know?
       Thanks, Michael

http://www.michaelbloodmeteorites.com/

on 10/29/02 3:23 PM, Michael L Blood at mlblood_at_cox.net wrote:

> Hi David & all,
> I need some very brief assistance - from someone who does
> NOT have cable or other ultra fast download capability to check
> something for me.
> Will anyone who is "up" on the list right now without such
> high speed internet access please email me off line?
> THANKS, Michael PS: Don't take any wooden meteorites.
>

> on 10/29/02 3:18 PM, David Weir at dgweir_at_earthlink.net wrote:
>
>> Hello List,
>>
>> My highly skeptical self found nothing at all credible in this e-mail,
>> but if anyone wants to pursue it, whatever "it" is, I'll supply the
>> author's name and phone number that was attached. Otherwise, have a good
>> laugh at the lengths some will go to setup a scam.
>>
>> David
>>
>>> Dear David --
>>>
>>> I got your name from the Meteorological Society. I have little or no
>>> experience in the subject of meteorites. But I am a frequent traveler
>>> North Africa, and help with humanitarian projects among the Bedouin of
>>> the
>>> Sahara. During my last trip, I was approached by a man who had an