[meteorite-list] NWA 482 questions

From: Starbits_at_aol.com <Starbits_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:07:06 2004

<The first sentence of the listing in Meteoritical Bulletin #85 for NWA 482 was, "A 1015 g stone was purchased on 2001 January 10 in Alnif, Morocco, by Michael Farmer." The last sentence reads, "Specimens: half of the main mass is with Farmer; type specimens, 24 g, UCLA, and 18 g, UAz."

  So, we're all left wondering: who REALLY owns (or perhaps by now "owned") the main mass of NWA 482? >

Hello Mark, Rob, and all

    At the risk of stepping into the middle of a bar
fight here is what I know.

    I saw the stone in Tucson when Mike Farmer returned.
At the time it was complete, whole and uncut except for
a couple small chips which can be seen in the photos.
It weighed 1015 grams.
    I was the one that cut it into slices for passing out
to the various investors. A large end cut was left
uncut. It weighed about 320 grams as I recall. This
large end cut went to the Hupes as they were the
largest investor and this was their share of the
purchase. So the bulletin was correct on both
accounts, Mike Farmer did purchase the stone in Jan 2001
and at the time of the classification had posession of
the whole stone except for what had been send to UCLA
and the U of Arizona. After the distribution the Hupes
were the owners of the largest piece.

Eric Olson
http://www.star-bits.com