[meteorite-list] The big questions?

From: FERNLEA4_at_aol.com <FERNLEA4_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:19 2004

--part1_9c.25587d88.2aa395ed_boundary

j.divelbiss_at_worldnet.att.net writes:

> In regards to making a sale...what is the proper (or recommended) protocol
> for sending identification with the reselling of a given piece?. If John
> Doe buys from Dealer A who has a reputable history and provides a card
> saying Dealer A's Meteorites or from the Collection of Dealer A, what has
> more meaning: to resale with a new card from John Doe's Meteorites, or to
> provide the old card from the long standing Dealer A?

John,
I don't think there's any set protocol, but for me it's always cool to
receive the whole sequence of past & present dealer labels/certificates with
a meteorite when it's purchased.
I certainly don't have a problem with my certs being passed on, so long as
the specimen is exactly as originally supplied. It could become a bit
misleading if the specimen has since been cut or broken up, and the weight &
description no longer matches the certificate.
I've kept many dealer labels over the years, including those that have some
odd spelling mistakes and typos (what's a "chrondule"?, and when did "Lake
Tagish" fall??), but like postage stamps with printing errors, these will be
worth a small fortune in years to come ;-)

<< Or, is it up to the new dealer/resaler John Doe to stand up and say it is
what it is, or should he wait some period of time to do that until he gains
trust in the collectors? I've seen it both ways, but for new guys guys like
Shaun and I, "what is the recommended practice?" >>

Just go for it! :-)
Most everyone had to start right at the bottom of the ladder originally
though, and then build up a reputation over time.....I don't think there's
any quick shortcut (sadly, as someone found out recently), but start as you
mean to go on and include your own label/cert with all of your sales, giving
lots of info about the specimen itself and fall/find etc. details.
However, unclassified NWA's should always be accompanied by a completely
blank piece of paper ;-) (just kidding Dean!)

I guess that certificates and labels that declare authenticity probably don't
prove very much at the end of the day, but it's interesting to note how
quickly I receive an email reminder from the customer if I forget to send a
signed certificate out with the meteorite.

My 1 Pound and fifty-two pence worth! (about $2.36 US Dollars)

Cheers,
Rob E.
www.meteorites.uk.com
Fernlea Meteorites,
The Wynd,
Off Dickson Lane,
Milton of Balgonie,
Fife. KY7 6PY
United Kingdom
Tel: +44-(0)1592-751563
Fax: +44-(0)1592-751991
Mobile: 07909-773929
Email: fernlea4_at_aol.com

--part1_9c.25587d88.2aa395ed_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In a message dated 01/09/02 15:08:02 GMT Daylight Time, j.divelbiss_at_worldnet.att.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">In regards to making a sale...what is the proper (or recommended) protocol for sending identification with the reselling of a given piece?.&nbsp; If John Doe buys from Dealer A who has a reputable history and provides a card saying Dealer A's Meteorites or from the Collection of Dealer A, what has more meaning: to resale with a new card from John Doe's Meteorites, or to provide the old card from the long standing Dealer A?</FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
John,<BR>
I don't think there's any set protocol, but for me it's always cool to receive the whole sequence of past &amp; present dealer labels/certificates with a meteorite when it's purchased.<BR>
I certainly don't have a problem with my certs being passed on, so long as the specimen is exactly as originally supplied. It could become a bit misleading if the specimen has since been cut or broken up, and the weight &amp; description no longer matches the certificate.<BR>
I've kept many dealer labels over the years, including those that have some odd spelling mistakes and typos (what's a "chrondule"?, and when did "Lake Tagish" fall??), but like postage stamps with printing errors, these will be worth a small fortune in years to come ;-)<BR>
<BR>
&lt;&lt; Or, is it up to the new dealer/resaler John Doe to stand up and say it is what it is, or should he wait some period of time to do that until he gains trust in the collectors? I've seen it both ways, but for new guys guys like Shaun and I, "what is the recommended practice?"</FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"> &gt;&gt;<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">Just go for it! :-)<BR>
Most everyone had to start right at the bottom of the ladder originally though, and then build up a reputation over time.....I don't think there's any quick shortcut (sadly, as someone found out recently), but start as you mean to go on and include your own label/cert with all of your sales, giving lots of info about the specimen itself and fall/find etc. details.<BR>
However, unclassified NWA's should always be accompanied by a completely blank piece of paper ;-) (just kidding Dean!)<BR>
<BR>
I guess that certificates and labels that declare authenticity probably don't prove very much at the end of the day, but it's interesting to note how quickly I receive an email reminder from the customer if I forget to send a signed certificate out with the meteorite.<BR>
<BR>
My 1 Pound and fifty-two pence worth! (about $2.36 US Dollars)<BR>
<BR>
Cheers,<BR>
Rob E.<BR>
www.meteorites.uk.com<BR>
Fernlea Meteorites,<BR>
The Wynd,<BR>
Off Dickson Lane,<BR>
Milton of Balgonie,<BR>
Fife. KY7 6PY<BR>
United Kingdom<BR>
Tel: +44-(0)1592-751563<BR>
Fax: +44-(0)1592-751991<BR>
Mobile: 07909-773929<BR>
Email: fernlea4_at_aol.com</FONT></HTML>

--part1_9c.25587d88.2aa395ed_boundary--