[meteorite-list] The big questions?

From: Tom Randall <trandall_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:19 2004

On Sun, 2002-09-01 at 07:06, John Divelbiss wrote:
> Shaun, Rob and rest of list,
>
> In regards to making a sale...what is the proper (or recommended)
protocol for sending identification with the reselling of a given
piece?. If John Doe buys from Dealer A who has a reputable history and
provides a card saying Dealer A's Meteorites or from the Collection of
Dealer A, what has more meaning: to resale with a new card from John
Doe's Meteorites, or to provide the old card from the long standing
Dealer A? I suppose it has more to do with whether John Doe is trying to
gain his own reputation as a dealer or resaler (as Mike Blood suggests
many of us are). If one is just trying to unload some pieces on
occasion, it may mean more to pass on documention from the previous
source.

> Or, is it up to the new dealer/resaler John Doe to stand up and say it
is what it is, or should he wait some period of time to do that until he
gains trust in the collectors? I've seen it both ways, but for new guys
guys like Shaun and I, "what is the recommended practice?" I plan on
selling some of my collection this fall, so I'm looking for advice.

> John Divelbiss

 Well, if I was selling a meteorite I would give the new owner the ID
card of the piece as well as the dealer's name,etc. that I bought it
from. That's all I can really do. I can verify that the dealer I bought
the piece from is honest and reputable and that the specimen is what I
said it was. I tell them when I bought it, from who, what I paid,etc. I
keep a history of each meteorite in my collection like that. Date
bought, dealer,size,weight,price paid,etc.

It's really up to the buyer to do his or her homework first if they are
a new comer to meteorites. Buy the books, read the net and research
them. Study photos, etc. There is plenty of info on the net, including
this list. We're all here to help answer questions. I think we do a
pretty good job of it.

Regards,

Tom Randall
IMCA# 6170