[meteorite-list] Meteorite Entrapment

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:19 2004

Hi All,

Just back from a show I did and talked to a man who saw my display and told me of a
family trip to the Field Museum and thought I would share his story here.

This gentleman and his wife and kids were at the Field Museum and came up to the
meteorite collection on display. As you know there are a couple of large meteorites
that sit on the floor (and no-one is going to move on their own) While looking at the
specimens on the floor, the wife was able to stick her hand down into the "pock" hole
of one of the meteorites, her hand just fitting when she moved her hand in such a way
that it just barely fit. Upon showing her feat to her husband and kids (and certainly
amazing them) she went to pull her hand out but couldn't.

This sent her into a bit of panic as she was stuck. I was told she wasn't being
pinched or hurt but that her hand could move around in the hole just a bit but she
couldn't remember how she had her hand orientated to get it in the hole. I guess like
the monkey garbing a banana in a jar and then not being able to retrieve the banana as
the hand is just too big to pull through the opening (his words to me :-) she was
stuck. They continued to watch the "show?" as visitors would come and go and see this
poor lady stuck in the meteorite. He told me that they were walking around looking at
the cases pretending not to know who she was making her dilemma that much worst.
Watching as helpless on lookers wandering past the exhibit and noting her situation
and wondering what to do.

He stated that it is one of those stories that they continue to laugh about in their
family and one of fond remembrance. (well maybe not the wife so much)

Oh yes she did finally manage to squeeze her hand out again and isn't still part of
the exhibit.

All my best.

--AL