[meteorite-list] RE: Civilized strewn fields.

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:20 2004

Hi Norbert,

> In fact, they will be filming at Neuschwanstein, but they intend
> to go beyond that recent fall. Of course, the Neuschwanstein fall
> triggered a public interest for meteorites in the German media,
> but that's not all there is to it.

I figured that fall (and its successful recovery) had to be the
catalyst for media interest in a film.

> They realized that there are people who study meteorites, collect
> meteorites, and hunt for meteorites in the most remote regions of
> this planet. This film crew intends to capture more than one
> glimpse on such a vast area of exploration, and this includes
> professional meteorite hunting in desert areas. It's just sad
> that they don't want to consider Oman, or Libya, since it's not
> so difficult to capture the discovery of a new meteorite in these
> countries. You just drive through the right areas, keep your eyes
> open, and yeap - there it is - a black rock from space. I've not
> been to the desert very often, but according to my experience it
> usually takes no longer than 3 to 5 days to find a new meteorite
> or strewnfield;

That's not bad for a *new* meteorite find, but if you just want to
find *any* meteorite it won't take that long in a good area (e.g.
desert Southwest of U.S.), especially with a team. A day or two
is plenty. Now if you want to find something larger than, say
100 grams, it will take longer.

Best,
Rob