[meteorite-list] Can-Am impact structure

From: Keith <littlejo_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:26 2004

In the thread [meteorite-list] Crater Information
and on Sun, 15 Sep 2002 11:28:07 -0400,
Charles O'Dale codale0806_at_rogers.comm wrote:

>Does anyone out there in meteorite land know about the
>Can-Am meteorite crater. I am looking for any
>drilling/magnetic etc information.
>
>http://ksplibrary.tripod.com/Crater.html

I have looked through GEOREF and not found any recent
research about the proposed "Can-Am Crater" in addition
to Forsyth et al. (1990a, 1990b) and Stolzenburg (1990).
The main problem is that this structure not only below
the surface of Lake Huron, but also lies under over a
mile of Paleozoic sedimentary rock. This makes the
logistics of doing any research involving this
structure quite difficult and rather expensive.

In summary, the proposed "Can-Am Crater" is a circular
structure lying beneath Lake Huron that is defined by
magnetic and gravity data. It is centered at lat 43
deg, 14.21' N and long 82 deg, 19.88' W. The magnetic
data shows what might be a central peak 50 km in
diameter with additional circular anomalies with a
diameter of about 100 km. The estimated depth of the
top of the structure is 2 km, which places it at the
top of Precambrian basement.

Some references are:

Forsyth, D. A., M. Pilkington, B. Milkereit, and R. A. F.
Grieve (1990a) A major circular basement structure
beneath the eastern Michigan Basin. American Association
of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin Vol. 74, no. 8, pp. 1305.

Forsyth, D. A., M. Pilkington, R. A. F. Grieve, and D.
Abbinett (1990b) Major Circular Structure beneath
Southern Lake Huron defined from Potential Field Data.
Geology, vol. 18, no. 8, pp 773-777.

Stolzenburg, W. (1990) Impact Crater May Lie beneath Lake
Huron. Science News. vol. 138, p. 133.

Yours,

Keith
New Orleans, LA