[meteorite-list] Bright Meteor Observed Over Western Australia

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:28 2004

http://www.sundaytimes.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,5122238%255E2761,00.html

Dying meteor turns on light show
>From AAP
September 18, 2002

A METEOR burning itself out has treated early birds in southern Western
Australia to a spectacular light show.

The meteor streaked across the morning sky, changing colours from red
to green, white and blue, with sparks coming off it, Perth Observatory
spokesman Peter Birch said.

The event was seen all around WA's south-west corner at about 5.15am
and was reported to have lasted up to five seconds.

"As far as we're concerned it's a typical meteor burning high up in the
atmosphere," Mr Birch said.

"It would appear as if the meteor itself has burnt out high in the
atmosphere, and I doubt very much if any fragments will be found."