[meteorite-list] Tektite QUESTION

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:28 2004

Hi, Mark, Michael, List,

    The Port Campbell tektites that many Australian geologists are convinced are
very young was the subject of the last field investigation by Gene Shoemaker
before his tragic death in an Australian road accident (1997). His conclusion
was that all these "young" sites resulted from the tektites being washed into
the areas where these "young" soils were being formed, probably by the pluvials
that accompanied the end of the last ice age. He found the tektites had "stream"
distribution. I don't think this was ever published, so this is "word of mouth."
Despite the Australian opinion of their "youth," the Port Campbell and other
"young" tektites have the same isotopic ages as all other australites,
indochinites, etc.

Sterling K. Webb