[meteorite-list] The Future of Neuschwanstein's Identity

From: Mark Fox <unclefireballmtf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:28 2004

September 20, 2002

Greetings Meteorite Enthusiasts!

I am probably not far off to speculate that many list
members are in suspense over the classification of the
new meteorite fall... Neuschwanstein. The reasons
are quite obvious, this meteoritic stone has the
possibility of being connected with an actual
"meteorite" shower, is a new fall, and was the fruit
of arduous searching.

Nevertheless, before we express our excited or more
restrained reactions to its classification when it
becomes available, I would like to emphasize a point
that I had made months ago. We should not simply
discard any relation to Pribram if Neuschwanstein is
shown not to be an H5 chondrite.

"What are you trying to get at?" you might say. Allow
me to illustrate. If Neuschwanstein's parent body is
the same as Pribram's which is commonly regarded as
being from an asteroid, then at the very least, it
would have to be of ample size and a good portion of
it would have to be in pieces for a meteoroid stream
of this nature to be possible. This would also
naturally mean that the shattered pieces (preferably
from a collision event) could consist of different
levels of the asteroid. If we hold our current
beliefs of asteroidal composition true, then we must
take into consideration that these "levels" would be
composed of increasing metamorphic stages as one
approaches the core, which as a result, would dictate
different chondritic compositions. Thus, if
Neuschwanstein is not of the H5 realm, yet us not
dismantle the April asteroid stream theory without
further scrutiny of the evidence.

As for the possibility that a meteoritic projectile
could excavate a deep enough crater in a large
asteroid in order to free not just meteoroids, but
meteoroids of different petrologic types... is
entirely likely. It is thought that such an event
happened to Vesta 4, (at least as far as I am
currently informed.) and is why many meteoriticists
group Howardites, Eucrites, and Diogenites together
into that familiar family we all know only too well:
the HED group.

Please feel free to correct me if you deem any of the
above statements incorrect.

Long strewn fields!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA