[meteorite-list] Ni-free metal in diogenites

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:29 2004

Hello List,

While sifting through the literature to be better prepared for
what is awaiting me when Adam's and Greg's NWA 1459
arrives, I came upon this in ..., well, of course, in O.R.
Norton's CEM:

Norton O.R. (2002) The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Meteorites,
pp. 153-155:

"The hypersthene in diogenites is remarkably homogenous with over
90% having an average composition of Wo1En74Fs25 (1% wollastonite,
74% enstatite, 25% ferrosilite). The iron-rich hypersthene is about
25% ferrosillite (Fs(23-27)), a mineral rarely if ever found on Earth.
There are s m a l l amounts of anorthite, *FeNi* and FeS. The
t o t a l i r o n is about 12 wt% but o n l y 0.3 wt%(!) is
r e d u c e d m e t a l.

(!) Remember: Adam wrote about NWA 1459:

> In this case Ni-Free metal means 6/100th of one
> percent or 0.06%. In other words trace amounts

Diogenites are thought to have formed in the lower crust or upper
mantle of a differentiated asteroid, possibly the asteroid 4 Vesta.
If the l o w e r m a n t l e could be sampled, a nearly p u r e
o l i v i n e cumulate similar to terrestrial dunite is expected to
be encountered (see the section on brachinites, p. 163)."

It is getting more and more exciting !!!

Cheers,

Bernd