[meteorite-list] Meteorite Crater Paintings To Tour US

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:30 2004

http://abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s660525.htm

Meteorite crater paintings to tour US
Australia Broadcasting Corporation
August 27, 2002

Aboriginal paintings of a massive meteorite
crater in north-west Western Australia's
Kimberley, the second largest in the world,
are set to tour the United States.

The exhibition of paintings of Wolfe Creek
Crater, by artists from Halls Creek and
Bililluna, will open in Philadelphia next year.

The artworks have been collected by a
visiting American Professor of
Anthropology, Peggy Reeves Sanday.

Dr Reeves is the daughter of geologist
Frank Reeves, who was believed to be the
first white man to find the crater while
exploring for oil and gas in 1947.

Dr Reeves says it is important that the
world hears the Aboriginal stories of the
significant site.

"To fill in the gap between my father's story
of the crater and the local Aboriginal story of
the crater - I think it's important to tell both
stories," she said.