[meteorite-list] NWA 1109: Eucrite or Howardite?

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:30 2004

Charlie Devine inquired:

> ... eucrite or howardite?

Mike Farmer responded:

> ... a very odd meteorite, large clasts, lots of goodies
> throughout, classic howardite, BUT, it seems that in many
> pieces, the diogenite level is just under the howardite level,
> suggesting eucrite, other pieces are higher in diogenite.

Hi Charlie and Mike, hello List,

... which makes it just as interesting, meteoritically speaking,
as that new olivine diogenite NWA 1459 and I am glad I own a thin
but beautiful 0.5-gram partslice with a large viewing area of the
NWA 1109. My little specimen looks like the "Bunte Brekzie" (colored
breccia) you find in the Otting Quarry (Ries Crater, Germany). Now,
what makes it so very interesting, apart from its visual appeal, is
the fact that it must have originated somewhere on its parent body
- that somewhere being a "spot" where basaltic flows (eucrites) were
close to plutonic rocks (diogenites) - not far away from either of
these (boundary layer ? ... a word we usually associate with the
K-T extinction event).

Best regards,

Bernd