[meteorite-list] Re: TEKTITES!! ....METEORITES OR JUST GLASS Obsidian

From: Keith <littlejo_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:31 2004

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002 04:59:54 -0400
EL Jones jonee_at_epix.net wrote:

> Let me try to get this one right the first time.
>This doesn't address the Lunar meteorite vs Ejecta
>debate but is a discussion on how volcanic glass-
>specifically "Apache Tears" forms. See the previous
>discussion on tektite and impact glass for
comparison.

Some web pages that discuss the origin of "Apache Tears" are:

1. THE HISTORY OF SILICIC VOLCANISM IN THE GREATER
AMERICAN SOUTHWEST by M. Steven Shackley (Berkeley
EDXRF Lab, University of California at Berkeley)
http://obsidian.pahma.berkeley.edu/swobhis.htm

2. Petrology of Silicic Glasses in the Southwest by M.
Steven Shackley (Berkeley EDXRF Lab, University of
California at Berkeley)
http://obsidian.pahma.berkeley.edu/obspetrl.htm

3. Close-up of perlitic vitrophyric lava with remnant
marekenites
http://obsidian.pahma.berkeley.edu/sandtanksloc1.htm
http://obsidian.pahma.berkeley.edu/locus1a8.JPG

4. SUPERIOR (PICKETPOST MOUNTAIN)CENTRAL ARIZONA
http://obsidian.pahma.berkeley.edu/superior.htm

Also, read:

Shackley, M. S. (1995) Sources of Archaeological Obsidian
in the Greater American Southwest: An Update and
Quantitative Analysis. American Antiquity. vol. 60,
pp. 531-551.

Your,

Keith Littleton
New Orleans, LA