[meteorite-list] Wabar Pearls or Beads

From: Impactika_at_aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:32 2004

--part1_17c.f1f5ae9.2ac544c2_boundary

In a message dated 9/26/2002 11:35:59 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
bernd.pauli_at_lehrer.uni-karlsruhe.de writes:

> Anne wrote:
>
> > I got a few more at the Denver Show, mostly "odd-shaped" ones,
> > often meaning that they are chipped or broken. I have been
> > looking at the broken ones and was rather surprised. I was
> > expecting them to be glassy all the way through like Libyan
> > Glass or Moldavite, but that is not the case at all. I found
> > that they are composed of a glassy outer shell packed with
> > tiny black grains of sand (I suppose) tightly packed and
> > glued together. It looks as if the vitrification process was
> > incomplete, only the outer layer turned to glass.
>
> > Any comments?
>
> No, not (yet). Are there any pictures you could put up on your
> website. I would very much like to see those tiny black grains
> of sand that are so tightly packed and glued together as you
> state. They m a y (speculation only so far!) represent highly
> * d e- * vitrified impactite melt beads.

Certainement Bernd!

There are 4 pictures waiting for you (and whomever else is interested). I
hope they are good enough but I am not so sure.
2 are of a Wabar pearl with black grainy interior.
And 2 of another pearl showing WHITE interior.

Now I am very curious to see what explanation there can be, particularly the
2nd one.
And what exactly do you mean by "de-vitrify" ?

Here are the links:
       www.impactika.com/images/WabarBlack1.jpg
       www.impactika.com/images/WabarBlack2.jpg
       www.impactika.com/images/WabarWhite1.jpg