[meteorite-list] When is a fall historical?

From: M come Meteorite Meteorites <mcomemeteorite2000_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:02 2004

Hello

An object normally becomes historical, at least here
in Italy, after 40-50 years - there is a law that says
it - I do an example, if it is found a cartridge-case
of field gun of the Second World War, this already is
sorted like historical material and therefore
protected from law, even if quintals of cartridge-case
find themselves. For the meteorites for me is the
same, after this years a meteorite is historical.
Normaly many see a meteorite historical if is fall in
the 1800, others from the first of the 1900. What it
is secure, is the meteorites fall in the centuries
before 1900 is historicals.
regards

Matteo

--- Charlie Devine <moonrock25_at_webtv.net> wrote:
> Regarding Park Forest, Matteo wrote:
>
> >Historical?? Historical is after over minimum
> >40 years, no after 4 days....historical only
> >probably for the USA persons of the zone,
> >but for meteorite collectors is not
> >historical.
>
> Maybe we're splitting hairs here. In Matteo's
> interpretation,
> historical is synonymous with "old". A certain
> passage of time must
> occur before a fall can be called historical. I
> don't know how we
> decide how many years must pass. Historical can
> also be use to convey
> the belief that something is "important" as in the
> phrase "today an
> historic event transpired".
> Most of us, when we hear "historical fall" probably
> think "old fall".
> But I know when I first heard the news of Park
> Forest, with all its'
> house smashing stones, I thought this was an
> historic fall. Historic as
> in important. That is why I said a few days ago
> that were I lucky
> enough to own a piece of one of the house smashers
> from this fall I
> would not need 50 years to know I owned a piece of
> meteorite history.
> Best,
> Charlie

=====
M come Meteorite - Matteo Chinellato
Email: mcomemeteorite2000_at_yahoo.it
Sale Site: http://www.mcomemeteorite.com Collection Site: http://www.mcomemeteorite.info
MSN Messanger: spacerocks_at_hotmail.com
EBAY.COM:http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/mcomemeteorite_at_excite.it/