[meteorite-list] Portales Valley and Park Forest

From: M come Meteorite Meteorites <mcomemeteorite2000_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:02 2004

--- Sharkkb8_at_aol.com wrote:

> The fact that you assume that that a seller (or
> several) even has the
> capability of "ruining the prices" of a meteorite,
> suggests that you think
> that market prices are mostly controlled by the
> seller. I think that prices
> are mostly controlled by the buyer.

When I buy from Morocco, type a carbonaceous, a
ureilite, acapulcoite or other, I sale this for a
normaly price ask time ago for the same material, but
not all have this idea, see the CR2 NWA 801, time ago
for a CR2 minimum to pay $300/gr. now the CR2 is sale
for $12/gr. - I hope not the same for Renazzo - and
this for many many other type of meteorites, is this
howardites, eucrites, SNC, lunars etc...DaG 400
$30.000/gr. now the prices is go for $750/gr. for a
lunar. I know many dealers have buy for high prices
and now have lost many money for this problem.

 I think sellers
> must craft their prices
> around what buyers are willing to pay, not the other
> way around. Sellers can
> have some relatively modest amount of influence over
> the "supply" part of the
> equation, but have no similar control over "demand,"
> and that's what largely
> determines prices, in my view.
>
> In the case of the Chicago fall, material has fallen
> in the middle of one the
> USA's largest cities, there has been a huge media
> buzz, the Museums are
> involved, the police are involved, the press is
> involved, the scientists are
> involved, there's a feeding frenzy there; surely no
> one could expect the same
> reaction from the American public about meteorite
> news in Lesotho. Or even
> Portales for that matter. If there was a fall
> tomorrow, on the grounds of
> the Foro Romano, don't you think that would produce
> a much higher
> street-price (demand!) than a similar chondrite that
> might fall in the
> farmland of Emiglia Romagna on the same day?

For me no, here in Italy the argoment meteorite is not
know and probably only if a museum come immediatly in
the zone of the fall and take all the pieces, probably
born a curiosity in the people, but have see with my
last meteorite acquire from a person in Piemonte, I
have pay this 600$ and is 200 grams of nice
individual, I have cut 7 slices only for sale the
other is in my collection. The Fermo meteorite, when
is fall, the person have found this after the fall
have gift the complete meteorite to the museum of
Fermo, any money give. If a person is interested in
meteorites priobably search to take money from a
similar event, but if the person not know the value of
a meteorite, probably this person gift to you the
piece found.

And
> yes, that price will go
> down as time passes and the hype dissipates.
> Matteo, I think you are
> inexplicably locked into some expectation that all
> meteorites/classifications
> must be established at some specific price-level,
> and then should never ever
> vary from that, and if they do, there must be some
> mysterious or sinister
> force at work. One would think that you would
> change that expectation after
> being in the collectibles market for any length of
> time. That's why they
> call it a MARKET.
>
> One more question....Matteo, do you sell every
> single L4 at exactly the same
> price?

If is a ordinary L4 - type Morocco - yes, if is a
historical material the price change, but I see the
old prices, no the new prices.

 Do you sell every shergottite at the same
> price? Zagami and
> Shergotty....same price for 2 grams?

Zagami $1000/gr. Shergotty I not have but I sale for
the same price or over if I have some pieces.

 If not, why
> not?
>
> Gregory

=====
M come Meteorite - Matteo Chinellato
Email: mcomemeteorite2000_at_yahoo.it
Sale Site: http://www.mcomemeteorite.com Collection Site: http://www.mcomemeteorite.info
MSN Messanger: spacerocks_at_hotmail.com
EBAY.COM:http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/mcomemeteorite_at_excite.it/