[meteorite-list] Walter's posting about meteorite ownership

From: William Steele <playarat_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:03 2004

Hello Walter and List,

The ownership of meteorites found on federal land is not a simple issue. For information on this topic, visit the following website...

http://www.bgroveswon.com/meteoritelaw/meteorite_law.html

The case of the Old Woman meteorite is particularly interesting. The original finders could have been owners of their fantastic find but were unable to move it. The Smithsonian recovered the mass using military support.

Rob