[meteorite-list] The Rarest Impact Melt Breccia - 76% off/Rose City

From: M come Meteorite Meteorites <mcomemeteorite2000_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:04 2004

Hello all

If you want a nice Impact Melt take a look to my NWA
1701 Impact Melt LL5 Breccia.....probably I have
another in arrive.
Regards

Matteo

--- Mark Fox <unclefireballmtf_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> April 7, 2003
>
> Greetings Mr. Kevin Kichinka!
>
> There is another "H" impact melt breccia to be aware
> of. Very brecciated in fact! What's more, it is my
> favorite chondrite. It is the H5 Rose City fall
> (1921) from Michigan. The texture is very shocked
> and black --- breathtaking; and this is just from
> the
> pictures!
>
> Like I mentioned before, Park Forest reminds me a
> lot
> of Rose city.
>
> Long strewn fields!
>
> Mark Fox
> Newaygo, MI USA
>
> --- MARSROX_at_aol.com wrote:
> > I just had a conversation with Blaine Reed about
> the
> > latest fall near
> > Chicago. Blaine has a degree in geology (cum
> laude)
> > and is quite good at
> > classifying rocks from here and beyond. I wondered
> > if he knew if this
> > latest-and-greatest was an LL6, L6, anomolous
> > achondrite w/attached dumbbell
> > tectites, etc. Nope. We both marveled at the price
> > considering the eventual
> > TKW will be relatively "high" and that "L-type"
> > melts are not incredibly
> > rare. We apppreciated that the specific pieces
> that
> > struck objects are more
> > "valuable" than those that just hit the ground
> like
> > any other meteorite.
> >
> > I also mentioned how some collectors were leaving
> > the hobby over the high and
> > higher prices of material.
> >
> > Blaine brought up a meteorite of which I hadn't
> been
> > aware of that he just
> > acquired. It's called Smyer (Texas) H5-6. It
> > apparently is about the only "H"
> > impact melt breccia, although Blaine thought there
> > might be one NWA. He
> > didn't think there was any from Antarctica (I'm
> sure
> > if there is, we'll know
> > momentarily - you still hangin' with us, Bernd?)
> >
> > According to the good book (Cat of Mets., 5th
> > edition) "A single mass of
> > 3,272 grams was recovered June 1, 1968 in a
> > cultivated field 4 miles (8.4km)
> > NE of Smyer, olivine Fa19.7, brief description,
> E.A.
> > King (1979) - (i.e. King
> > collection). Dist. 47gm. DuPont Coll., 20 gm.
> AMNH,
> > N.Y., 14.3gm., GSC,
> > Ottawa, 243.8gm. Monnig (TCU)."
> >
> > I found this exciting. I'm less into the
> > flavor-of-the-moment, but definitely
> > into rare. The only available "H" impact melt
> > breccia would be a worthy
> > addition to my collection. I asked Blaine to
> > describe the slices.
> >
> > "Well, I've got slices from 22 to 143 grams. I
> don't
> > know the weathering
> > factor, but it's as fresh as Plainview, which is
> [...]

=====
M come Meteorite - Matteo Chinellato
Email: mcomemeteorite2000_at_yahoo.it
Sale Site: http://www.mcomemeteorite.com Collection Site: http://www.mcomemeteorite.info
MSN Messanger: spacerocks_at_hotmail.com
EBAY.COM:http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/mcomemeteorite_at_excite.it/