[meteorite-list] The Rarest Impact Melt Breccia - 76% off

From: MARSROX_at_aol.com <MARSROX_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:05 2004

--part1_124.207c7f9f.2bc349b9_boundary

Happy strewnhoods to you (until we meet again....) list-member Mark Fox for
reporting that Rose City (H5), a fall from 1921 (Ogemaw County, Mich.) is
also an "H" impact melt breccia, like Blaine's proffered Smyer H5-6. And no
doubt, Rose City is a smashing meteorite (heh-heh) having been studied by a
"Who's Who" of great meteoriticists. Looks like whole stone analysis was
performed by Brian Mason, D. Stoffler on shock metamorphism, D.D Bogard
himself on impact age, and our own Alan Rubin checking the breccia.

Did I mention that old Harvey himself (Nininger) mentioned it in a letter of
11 November, 1933?

Anyone selling this?

FYI - 80% of the Rose City 10.5kg fall (total of three individuals) is in
Chicago (possible trade for Park City?), Washington (the Smith), and NYC
(AMNH).

Thanks also to Sir Eric and Madam Anne for their noting of a pending
Gao-paired possibility.

G'Day to Jeff down under for flagging a couple slick Saharans.

A cappuccino to Matteo for picking up on DAG 880 in a future MetBull.

A buttery croissant to Vincent Jacques for posting photos of an interesting
met named Rammya (Moroc/1996).

Bernd gets a beer for adding: SAU 033, DaG 172, QUE 99396 (maybe), and Yamato
790746.

But highest kudos to Matt Morgan for digging up "Spade" H6 , an "annealed"
impact melt not yet listed in the Cat of Mets. Get jiggy with it and read
Alan Rubin's LPS 2003 article Matt pasted to his post. But before you click,
have a little tease - "shock induced damage of the olivine crystal lattice
can be annealed out.......thus making a chondrite appear less shocked than it
was at an earlier point in history."

So a stage "S3" could be, maybe, it is.... shocked BACK to an "S1".

I'll pass this update on to Blaine. With all these "H" impact melt breccias
around, I want a discount!

Kevin Kichinka

--part1_124.207c7f9f.2bc349b9_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Happy strewnhoods to you (until we meet again....) lis=
t-member Mark Fox for reporting that Rose City (H5), a fall from 1921 (Ogema=
w County, Mich.) is also an "H" impact melt breccia, like Blaine's proffered=
 Smyer H5-6.&nbsp; And no doubt, Rose City is a smashing meteorite (heh-heh)=
 having been studied by a "Who's Who" of great meteoriticists. Looks like wh=
ole stone analysis was performed by Brian Mason, D. Stoffler on shock metamo=
rphism, D.D Bogard himself on impact age, and our own Alan Rubin checking th=
e breccia. <BR>
<BR>
Did I mention that old Harvey himself (Nininger) mentioned it in a letter of=
 11 November, 1933?<BR>
<BR>
Anyone selling this?<BR>
<BR>
FYI - 80% of the Rose City 10.5kg fall (total of three individuals) is in Ch=
icago (possible trade for Park City?), Washington (the Smith), and NYC (AMNH=
).<BR>
<BR>
Thanks also to Sir Eric and Madam Anne for their noting of a pending Gao-pai=
red possibility. <BR>
<BR>
G'Day to Jeff down under for flagging a couple slick Saharans. <BR>
<BR>
A cappuccino to Matteo for picking up on DAG 880 in a future MetBull.<BR>
<BR>
A buttery croissant to Vincent Jacques for posting photos of an interesting=20=
met named Rammya (Moroc/1996).<BR>
<BR>
Bernd gets a beer for adding: SAU 033, DaG 172, QUE 99396 (maybe), and Yamat=
o 790746.<BR>
<BR>
But highest kudos to Matt Morgan for digging up "Spade" H6 , an "annealed" i=
mpact melt not yet listed in the Cat of Mets. Get jiggy with it and read Ala=
n Rubin's LPS 2003 article Matt pasted to his post. But before you click, ha=
ve a little tease - "shock induced damage of the olivine crystal lattice can=
 be annealed out.......thus making a chondrite appear less shocked than it w=
as at an earlier point in history."<BR>
<BR>
So a stage "S3" could be, maybe, it is.... shocked BACK to an "S1".<BR>
<BR>
I'll pass this update on to Blaine. With all these "H" impact melt breccias=20=
around, I want a discount!<BR>
<BR>
Kevin Kichinka<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_124.207c7f9f.2bc349b9_boundary--