[meteorite-list] Who Feels Generous in Tucson?

From: Bob Martino <martino.6_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:07 2004

All,

This message is mostly for those on the list who live in or near Tucson.

The mineral company where I work is right next door to the T-Rex Museum on
North Main. It's privately owned and run. The owner has spent a lot of time
and many thousands of dollars on the exhibits and such. While it's still a
little cheesy, it's getting better by the day.

I thought that a dinosaur museum should probably have some exhibit on
meteorites and asteroids (I don't think I need to state the obvious
reasons). To that end I've donated a couple of small meteorites and a nice
(if I say so myself) set of 6 tektites from China showing all the basic
shapes (I picked these literally out of thousands). One of the meteorites is
a Canyon Diablo which was given to me by Jim Kriegh as a house warming gift
when my family moved here. I already had a CD specimen so I've been looking
for a good chance to pass it along to someone else who could appreciate it.
The other is a Gold Basin that I bought a few years ago. Twink Monrad gave
me another Gold Basin specimen that she personally found. While hers is
smaller than the one I had before, I'd rather keep hers for sentimental
reasons.

I'm wondering if anyone else would like to donate something to the T-Rex
Museum. Two small meteorites and some tektites don't make a big exhibit. I'm
thinking that they could use not only other meteorites but also related
things like shatter cones, good photos of craters, or something useful for
an asteroid exhibit.

Feel free to decline, of course. I just promised Sam the T-Rex Museum owner
that I'd ask. He's putting a lot of personal resources into it to better the
local community and I wanted to help out. My own resources are limited, but
someone else out there might like to contribute also.

Thanks.

-----
Bob Martino, Tucson, AZ

Can you really name a star? Read the Truth!
http://home.columbus.rr.com/starfaq/