[meteorite-list] Doubtful meteorites

From: LJnewpers_at_aol.com <LJnewpers_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:07 2004

Dave freeman and list;

I guess all of us have heard the many stories of "meteorites" found by
Grandma, been in the family, found in a rock shop, etc. But once in a while
the jackpot is there. A friend of mine looked in a bucket at a very informal
rock shop near Breckenridge, Colorado and saw what he suspected to be a
meteorite. We arranged to meet to examine it and I could see from ten feet
away it WAS REAL. 450 grams with more than 95% beautiful fresh beaded fusion
crust. On cutting, I found the most wonderful even distribution of
sub-millimeter metal grains. Fred Olsen arranged to have thin sections
prepared and Dr. Wasson is doing the analysis at this time. Looks to be L5,
but we'll wait for the expert.

Also, in chatting with Gringo friends in Mexico, they mentioned casually they
had a meteorite in the family. Grandma picked it up as it landed in their
potato patch in Leedy Oklahoma, November, 1943 (look it up in Meteorite from
A to Z). After I convinced them it had great value, they checked through the
family and nobody knows which basement it is in, BUT THEY'RE LOOKING NOW.

Worth checking all the stories!

Larry Johnson