[meteorite-list] Pallasites and Moist Climates

From: Impactika_at_aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:08 2004

--part1_157.1e2ae8a9.2bca7d32_boundary

In a message dated 4/12/03 8:36:47 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
j.divelbiss_at_att.net writes:

> I know this is an old subject, but I just wanted to vent a little.
>
> I'm 4 for 4. I have two slices of Brenham, one of Brahin, and one on
> Imilac
> that I bought in the last three years, and today they are all in the
> process of
> (or are done) falling apart. Some of my irons are no different. Unless I
> build
> a dry box with cooling, etc., living on the East coast of US is not a good
> place to have Pallasites and iron slices. I've tried dessicant, oil,
> membrane
> boxes, etc. to no avail. If I have to lock them up in some crypt...then why
>
> have them? If I have to treat them and cook them, blah, blah...why have
> them?

Hello List members,

Since rust is back in the conversation, this might be a good time to tell you
what Fred Olsen and I have been working on. We have been talking to a company
specialized in corrosion prevention, and we have picked out a few of their
products that we think would work with meteorites.
       An Emitter: a flat self-sticking disk, that could be placed in a
display case
       Zippered plastic bags
       Heavy kraft-type paper.

All 3 products have been treated with anti-corrosion chemicals and (to quote
the manufacturer): "vapors volatize inside the package or enclosure and form
a protective layer on the surface of the metal that prevents moisture, salt,
dirt, oxygen and other materials from depositing on the metal and causing
corrosion."
Please note that this will not repair the damage already done (you should
talk to Jim Hartman for that), this is design to prevent rust, so it should
be used with perfectly clean pieces.

Eventually I will have a new page on my site presenting these products, their
use, and of course, ordering information. But this is far from ready.
However Rust waits for no one, so I have made up kits. Each one contains one
emitter, 10 plastic bags, and enough paper to line a bunch of Riker mounts.
And they are $20 a piece, to anyone who asks! I'll pay postage if you ask
before the end of the month.

Anne M. Black
IMCA #2356
www.IMPACTIKA.com
E-mail: Impactika _at_aol.com

--part1_157.1e2ae8a9.2bca7d32_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#ffffff"><FONT style=
=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial"=20=
LANG=3D"0">In a message dated 4/12/03 8:36:47 PM Mountain Daylight Time, j.d=
ivelbiss_at_att.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I know this is an old subject,=20=
but I just wanted to vent a little.<BR>
<BR>
I'm 4 for 4.&nbsp; I have two slices of Brenham, one of Brahin, and one on I=
milac <BR>
that I bought in the last three years, and today they are all in the process=
 of<BR>
(or are done) falling apart. Some of my irons are no different. Unless I bui=
ld <BR>
a dry box with cooling, etc., living on the East coast of US is not a good <=

place to have Pallasites and iron slices. I've tried dessicant, oil, membran=
e <BR>
boxes, etc. to no avail. If I have to lock them up in some crypt...then why=20=
<BR>
have them? If I have to treat them and cook them, blah, blah...why have them=
?<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
Hello List members,<BR>
<BR>
Since rust is back in the conversation, this might be a good time to tell yo=
u what Fred Olsen and I have been working on. We have been talking to a comp=
any specialized in corrosion prevention, and we have picked out a few of the=
ir products that we think would work with meteorites.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; An Emitter: a flat self-sticking disk,=20=
that could be placed in a display case<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Zippered plastic bags<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Heavy kraft-type paper.<BR>
<BR>
All 3 products have been treated with anti-corrosion chemicals and (to quote=
 the manufacturer): "vapors volatize inside the package or enclosure and for=
m a protective layer on the surface of the metal that prevents moisture, sal=
t, dirt, oxygen and other materials from depositing on the metal and causing=
 corrosion."<BR>
Please note that this will not repair the damage already done (you should ta=
lk to Jim Hartman for that), this is design to prevent rust, so it should be=
 used with perfectly clean pieces.<BR>
<BR>
Eventually I will have a new page on my site presenting these products, thei=
r use, and of course, ordering information. But this is far from ready.<BR>
However Rust waits for no one, so I have made up kits. Each one contains one=
 emitter, 10 plastic bags, and enough paper to line a bunch of Riker mounts.=
 And they are $20 a piece, to anyone who asks!&nbsp; I'll pay postage if you=
 ask before the end of the month.<BR>
<BR>
Anne M. Black<BR>
IMCA #2356<BR>
www.IMPACTIKA.com<BR>
E-mail:&nbsp; Impactika _at_aol.com</FONT></HTML>

--part1_157.1e2ae8a9.2bca7d32_boundary--