[meteorite-list] NP Article, 07-1934 Nininger Hunts Meteorite

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:09 2004

Hi Mark and all,

In 69 years we have went from $1.00 a pound to an average of $3 or $4 a gram (about
$1,500 a pound) (not counting park forest which is sure to make ripples in the
meteorite market $9,000 a pound average). That is an increase of about 10% a year
(depending on how you figure). Now I have never advocated collecting for investment
but have maintain they are a cost effective collectable. I certainly agree with the
consensus and my purpose for collecting is that I appreciate meteorites for what they
can tell us and they come from areas of space our solar system that I doubt I will be
able to visit in my life time. While I have my collection I get to study these
visitors, appreciate them and hold them, then I can pass them on to the next care
takers and most likely get what I paid for them out of them.

Only real meteorite to take me totally by surprise was the lunar specimens that
dropped a lot in price with the discovery of so many lunars out in the desert.
Fantastic collectable eehhh.

Philosophical

--AL