[meteorite-list] Re: Park Forest DVD (Rob Wesel)

From: Bob Martino <martino.6_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:13:09 2004

Rob,

Regarding the sale of this DVD, I feel the need to STRONGLY advise against
it. You are setting yourself up for MAJOR problems.

All those broadcast news shows are copyrighted. Each piece of video is owned
by a different organization. Every one of them will come after you if they
find out about this. It's one thing to send free copies to friends. The
"fair use" provisions of copyright law would seem to apply. But Selling
these DVD's is blatantly illegal. You are not selling them to recoup your
cost. What does a blank disk run? $1.00 or so? To charge $35 for a disk
clearly shows you making a large profit off the work of others. It is also
very unethical. I for one would love to have one of these DVD's. But I
cannot in good conscience pay for one. And you in good conscience shouldn't
sell them. Put them on eBay and you are guaranteed to get sued five ways to
Sunday. Remember the stupid, stupid kids who stole the moon rocks from NASA
and then tried to set up a sale of them ON THE INTERNET?

If you want to share this footage with others (a good thing) then have
people send you blank disks of appropriate type along with postage-paid
return envelopes. Then you are not selling the disks and the TV stations
have little to hang a lawsuit on. There are three tests for copyright
violation. You are OK as long as: (1) You are using only a small amount of
the original material. (2) It is used for educational purposes. (3) No
profit is being made. Of the three, the last is the most important. It is
also the one you clearly are violating.

Don't do it Rob. Please.

-----
Bob Martino, Tucson, AZ

Can you really name a star? Read the Truth!
http://home.columbus.rr.com/starfaq/
.

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/27e2423e/bc/Park+Forest/__hr_PF+DVD.jpg?bckZw