[meteorite-list] Odds Of Getting SARS Are Slightly Higher Than Getting Hit By A Meteorite

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:13:09 2004

Since several hundred people have died (Including 16
here in toronto) I think that the stats might be a
little off. People here in Toronto are all in a panic
and if you go to a restaurant you might be there by
yourself. Especially chinese restaurants ahve no
customers nowadays. Traffic is a royal pain here
recently in Toronto as nobody wants to use public
transit unless they have to. There has been a couple
scares of infected people riding the subway or
intercity train. The US immigration has quarintine
facilities at the border and you cannot get access to
the toronto airport very easily and nobody can visit
people in the hospital. Otherwise life is normal. I
was talking to my chinese artifact suppliers in hong
kong yesterday and they also indicate that life is
normal (except that they have no customers anymore).
Canadians need to carry a doctors note to most places
if they travel right now. (I have a philippine friend
who is joking that philippine passports are better to
travel with than canadian ones now).
Me and Mark Bostic have big plans to go to Enshesheim
to the mineral show in june but if anybody on the
plane has a flu you might get quarintined for 10 days
and as somebody with 500 ebay auctions running right
now I cant really afford to allow that to happen so
most likely our enshesheim plans will get cancelled
but we are still waiting to see what will happen in
the next couple weeks. The world health organization
put out a travel warning against coming here yesterday
and most hotels have been laying off staff and giving
exceptional deals to lure customers.
So thats my report from what is pretty much ground
zero as far as the SARS thing goes.
cheers
DEAN