[meteorite-list] Dumb Question - Micro Mount

From: Bob Martino <martino.6_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:13:10 2004

All,

Can anyone give me the strict definition of a "micro mount" or "micro" for
short?

I assume that this means a "tiny piece of meteorite" but how tiny, exactly?
Is it anything less than a gram? Less than half a gram?

Or does micro refer to the visible area of the specimen instead of size? For
example, I have a Martian meteorite slice that is about 0.3 grams but is a
full centimeter square. Would this be a micro mount?

Also, I assume that to be a true "micro" the specimen needs to be displayed
in a small container - one of those round plastic boxes with cotton inserts
or perhaps a membrane box. Is this correct?

-----
Bob Martino, Tucson, AZ

Can you really name a star? Read the Truth!
http://home.columbus.rr.com/starfaq/
.