[meteorite-list] New Park Forest Finds

From: Mark Jackson <b0rtz2003_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:28 2004

--0-519313787-1059854958=:79503

Dear List,

I have just returned from PF with two new finds. I can attest that the urban hunting experience is truly unique. ;-) Metal detectors are useless when hunting for ordinary chondrites in these settings. There is just too much trash for the all metal mode to work properly. The forest preserve, even with the help of friends (see pictures), was a bust. My finds were both made in abandoned parking lots (which are plentiful in PF) near the north west extreme of the strewnfield (one just south, and one just north of the railroad track; 50 to 100 yards west of Western Avenue). I really think someone local should contact the owners of the buildings in the strip mall to look inside the buildings and/or gain roof access. There could easily be penetrator sized stones in those buildiings that no one knows about. Check out the pics at: http://community.webshots.com/user/b0rtz/ Park Forest Trip album.

Kindest Regards,

Mark

--0-519313787-1059854958=:79503

<DIV>Dear List,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I have just returned from PF with two new finds.&nbsp;I&nbsp;can attest that&nbsp;the urban hunting experience is truly unique. ;-) Metal detectors are useless when hunting for ordinary chondrites in these settings. There is just too much trash for the all metal mode to work properly. The forest preserve, even with the help of friends (see pictures), was a bust. My finds were both made in abandoned parking lots (which are plentiful in PF)&nbsp;near the north west extreme of the strewnfield (one just south, and one just north&nbsp;of the railroad track;&nbsp;50 to 100 yards west of&nbsp;Western Avenue). I really think someone local should contact the owners of the buildings in the strip mall to look inside the buildings and/or gain roof access. There could&nbsp;easily be penetrator sized stones in those buildiings that no one knows about. Check out the pics at: <A href="http://community.webshots.com/user/b0rtz/">http://community.webshots.com/user/b0rtz/</A> <EM>Park Forest
 Trip</EM> album.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Kindest Regards,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>