[meteorite-list] Hundreds Report Burning Meteor Over Australia

From: Michael Farmer <farmerm_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:30 2004

Here we go again. Why do scientists say that? If the fireball was large
enough to excite thousands of people, it is most likely that something DID
hit the ground. There are many instances of meteorites falling without the
fanfare of explosions and bright fireballs, take the Canadian fall
(Killborne) I think it is, a small 500 gram stone fell and plopped down
without a sound in bright daylight in front of a golfer! And the Indiana
stone that fell in the yard where the boys were playing.
Meteorites do not have to be giant to make it to the ground.
I would like to know how this guy came to such an accurate size estimate of
the meteorite, guessing that it was "cricket ball size".
Mike Farmer