[meteorite-list] RE: Spotlight: A Rock By Any Other Name...

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:31 2004

Hi All,

Yesterday, Ron Baalke forwarded a message to the list about the naming
of asteroids. As I am quite active in minor planet searches, I thought
I'd comment on a couple points.

> Today, there are more than 150,000 asteroids logged with the
> Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory's Minor Planet Center, but
> less than 10 percent have names.

Most of the reason that so few of the 150,000+ are named is that
most do not have sufficiently accurate orbits yet. The vast majority
of these objects have only been observed during one opposition, and
thus their arcs of observation only extend a few weeks. The MPC
requires that a minor planet be observed on at least 4 oppositions
before it can be given a formal number, and only then can the finder
propose a name for it. Last I checked there were somewhere between
60,000 and 70,000 numbered asteroids, so roughly a quarter of those
that could be named have been named.

> "One big reason is that looking for asteroids is a relatively
> thankless but important task," said Yeomans. "We need to keep an
> eye on these space rocks because they have a habit of every once
> in a while entering our neighborhood. Allowing astronomers to
> name their discovery is an incentive and it honors their
> efforts."

I can tell you from personal experience that sleuthing the orbits
of asteroids requires a great deal of time and skill, and so I
enthusiastically agree with Dr. Yeomans that is only fitting that
the finders receive something for their efforts. (It would be
nice if global meteorite recovery laws followed this example!)

> Having dedicated the past 35 years to the detection and analysis
> of asteroids and comets, Yeomans has himself been so honored.

Ron Baalke also has a space rock out there with his name on it! ;-)
I suspect there are other list members who have been so honored.

Cheers,
Rob