[meteorite-list] Meteorite Collecting Ban

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:31 2004

Dear Eric and List,

I agree, to number each find from Antarctica heavily skews the results. If
every one of the Tazas we have gone through each received a number it would
number into the thousands, same for Bensour, same for NWA 869. We have over
8,000 individual meteorites, not fragments from Northwest Africa, mostly
ordinary chondrites that sit in storage because we cannot find a lab
interested in studying them. Using the 3.5:1 ratio would mean we have over
2,285 different finds, a ridiculous number. I feel all of these stones
might represent only about 90 falls at the very most, a 25:1 ratio. We have
been donating these stones on a regular basis to observatories and schools
for hand specimens, at least they are not thrown in a box and forgotten
about. I think ratios are very misleading when comparing desert finds to
Antarctic finds.

All the Best,

Adam Hupe