[meteorite-list] OT: PayPal spoof warning

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:31 2004

Hi All,

I probably don't need to warn most of you, but just to cover the
bases I thought I would post a message here since many of you
probably use PayPal. Some "enterprising" individual(s) is/are
attempting to trick PayPal customers into revealing detailed
account information. Usually these "spoofs" are pretty
unsophisticated, but the one I got today looked official enough
that someone might get fooled. It starts off with:

"This e-mail is the notification of recent innovations taken by
PayPal to detect inactive customers and non-functioning mailboxes.

"The inactive customers are subject to restriction and removal in
the next 3 months.

"Please confirm your email address and credit card information by
logging in to your PayPal account using the form below:"

- - - -

A form appears with boxes for email address, password, name,
credit card #, expiration date, and ATM PIN (for bank verification).
It finishes with the somewhat official-looking paragraphs:

"This PayPal notification was sent to your mailbox. Your PayPal account
is set up to receive the PayPal Periodical newsletter and product =
updates
when you create your account. To modify your notification preferences =
and
unsubscribe, go to https://www.paypal.com/PREFS-NOTI and log in to your
account. Changes to your preferences may take several days to be
reflected in our mailings. Replies to this email will not be processed.

Copyright=A9 2003 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved. Designated =
trademarks
and brands are the property of their respective owners."

- - -

If they hadn't been so stupid to ask for my ATM PIN, I might have
been a little less suspicious. Just wonder if this should this be
reported somewhere that handles fraud cases? --Rob