[meteorite-list] Spoof warning Additional, State Parks

From: Jensan Scientifics/ Sci-Mall <jensan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:32 2004

Hello list,

Life is not what it should be in the PayPal world, but that also applies
to vacations and state parks.

For those of you going West for vacation fun, as I usually do, the road
can be hazardous.

I had always wanted to visit Mt. St. Helens and so my kids and I decided
to make a vacation out of it. We went up to see the crater at an
observation point, then decided to helicopter into the crater to take a
closer look. This is REALLY cool. There is actually a small waterfall
in the crater. The helicopter guide pointed out some interesting
features of the area. Alot of it was definitely more interesting from
the air.

Then I decided to take a back road from exit 504 headed to Yakima,
Washington. So we get on the back side of Mt. St. Helens headed to
Spirit Lake. Beautiful, luxurious overgrowth, small waterfalls,
semi-pristine appearing land. This was about 7 o'clock at night, still
had a 3 hour drive ahead. Still wanted to see the back side, though,
having driven all the way from Wisconsin to "see it all."

Out of nowhere comes this conversion van with headlights on trying to
touch my bumper, two big guys driving it. I hit the gas and again it
does the same thing. Again and again I hit the gas. They never touch
my bumper but try to get me to stop. In karate they teach you that your
vehicle can be your weapon, if you do not have others. You never stop or
put yourself in position to stop. I took the center of the road where
they could not get along side of me. It finally dawned on me that
car-jacking is real popular along the west coast and they wanted my
Suburban. Fortunately it is a modern Suburban, but it also had
modifications that made it faster then regular Suburbans. We were doing
hairpin turns from 50-80 in a State Park. No one else on the road.
Weird- No, planned on their part. In areas when we had roaming ability
from our cell phone, they seemed to back off, but in void areas they
were persistent.

Later I found out from researching the web that there are at least 700
people that are missing in Washington state alone, and 100 unidentified
bodies. According to many sources drugs are being grown on state park
land, and hiking in beautiful places may not be so cool.

They chased me all the way down the mountain and obviously never got
me. I highly recommend fast driving skills through many parts of
America, unfortunately. I was glad my teenage son was not driving. (He
even admits that) Something like this makes a vacation a NOT vacation.
I was glad to get home.

The object of this post is like paypal, even meteorites, sometimes,
things are not as simple as they should be. Trust your instincts. Even
resorts may not be resorts. And where is a policeman (or state park
trooper) when you need one?

Best,
Sarah
Jensan Scientifics/ Science Mall