[meteorite-list] NWA 801

From: Alexander Seidel <ase_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:32 2004

This meteorite is also missing in the very latest update of MetBase,
version 6.0, just a few days ago released by itīs author Joern
Koblitz, who is one of the members of the NomCom of the Meteoritical
Society. In fact, there is a gap in the NWA datasets counting from NWA
780 to NWA 816, and there are probably other gaps, too, in all the
numbers known so far. This surely is for good reason and perhaps Jeff
Grossman may comment on this, if he likes to do so.

Alex
Berlin, Germany

P.S., on a side note: I wonder why that meteorite once inofficially
sold under the name of "Begaa" never found itīs way into the official
list of the NomCom, very probably as some new NWA xxxx. Something went
badly wrong, as the main mass holders recently told me this was
classified to be an LL3.2 (!) by a well-known scientist in Paris, but
despite the fact that there is a big TKW and this meteorite seems to
be widely distributed in collections (by virtue of itīs beauty with
all those pristine chondrules alone, similar to e.g. Krymka), nobody
seems to have really cared to make this available to the scientific
field, which, of course, and for good reasons again, only accepts
material that has been accepted by the NomCom.