[meteorite-list] FW: The Vitim event and more

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:32 2004

---------------- Forward Message ------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 10:25:57 +0400
From: "Andrei Ol'khovatov"
Subject: (meteorobs) The Vitim event and more

Dear All,

Expeditions have returned from the Vitim bolide
epicenter. No fragments were discovered. Some samples
of soil etc. were taken to analyse in labs.
Along the trajectory numerous small and fierce
forest-falls were discovered with unknown origin.

In my opinion, it is not clear whether they exist just
in there (and absent in other areas), as the
expeditions (as I understand from brief reports) were
just along the trajectory. Hoping that more detailed
info will appear soon.

Here is a fresh "meteorite impact" article on
"something" another:

http://www.detnews.com/2003/metro/0308/12/c01-242704.htm

Despite that it is not clear "what it was", it sounds
interesting to investigate.

Best wishes,
Andrei Ol'khovatov
Russia, Moscow