[meteorite-list] Finding things OTHER than meteorites...

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:33 2004

Hi All,

In my 65 meteorite hunting trips, I've found the usual assortment
of desert garbage, including golf balls, engine blocks and other
car parts, wrenches, model rockets, the famous lawnmower at Lucerne,
clay pidgeons, and bullet slugs and shells for pretty much every
caliber from .22 up to nearly an inch in diameter (some of them
live rounds). As for wildlife, I've seen Mojave green rattlesnakes
(nasty!), western Diamondback rattlers and gopher snakes, rabbits,
horned toads, and even a desert tortoise earlier this year. Then
there are the skeletal remains of coyotes, turkey vultures, crows,
cows and donkeys (thankfully no human remains!)

The most unusual items were a radiosonde, several stop watches,
Kim Cathcart's rock hammer (yes, Kim, I still have it for you!),
a 1947-S Mercury Head dime, and of course the meteorite partslice
that I reported last year found on Lucerne... --Rob