[meteorite-list] Meteorite Wrong from Washington-disinformation?

From: Howard Wu <freewu2000_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:33 2004

--0-151148923-1060886923=:28665

I recall an Andy Warhol story where he tells that he deliberately gave different biographical information about himself to different reporters so when he met people at New York social parties he would know what magazines they read. :<)

However, I agree ethically that we should not be the source of disinformation and support public education. Also knowledge may lead to more real finds. For example, I didn't know till I became involved in collecting that meteors stop "burning" high in the atmosphere before dropping in a terminal velocity decent.

Howard Wu

Sharkkb8_at_aol.com wrote:

There is also a case for NOT educating the press on the exact ins and outs of meteorite falls, phrases like ‘I burnt my hands’ ‘it set fire to my garden etc’, are excellent ways of distinguishing false falls from potentially genuine ones, as soon as all the press reports sound believable, we will be over whelmed with reports that would end up wasting all our time.

Wait a minute. Stepping back from it a bit, I find it hard to believe there's a compelling reason for WANTING the press to report falsehoods as truth, no matter what the subject matter of the story. If we can seriously justify allowing (much less wanting) the press to lie because we've decided that it helps meteorite-hobbysits distinguish between likely reports and unlikely ones, it becomes pretty easy for ANYONE to justify fraud in the press, for any and all convenient reasons that may come along. Surely that's a direction we want to head AWAY from, not toward....and yes, even if it "ends up wasting our time".

       Gregory

---------------------------------
--0-151148923-1060886923=:28665

<DIV>I recall an Andy Warhol story where he tells that he deliberately gave different biographical information about himself to different reporters so when he met people at New York social parties he would know what magazines they read. :&lt;)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>However, I agree ethically that we should not be the source of disinformation and support public education. Also knowledge may lead to more real finds. For example, I didn't know&nbsp;till I became involved in collecting&nbsp;that meteors stop "burning" high in the atmosphere before&nbsp;dropping in a terminal velocity decent. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Howard Wu<BR><BR><B><I>Sharkkb8_at_aol.com</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid; WIDTH: 100%"><FONT face=arial,helvetica><FONT lang=0 face=Arial size=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF"><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px" TYPE="CITE"></FONT><FONT lang=0 style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" face=Arial color=#000080 size=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF">There is also a case for NOT educating the press on the exact ins and outs of meteorite falls, phrases like ‘I burnt my hands’&nbsp; ‘it set fire to my garden etc’, are excellent ways of distinguishing false falls from potentially genuine ones, as soon as all the press reports sound believable, we will be over whelmed with reports that would end up wasting all our time.</BLOCKQUOTE><BR></FONT><FONT lang=0 style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" face=Arial color=#000000 size=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF"><BR>Wait a minute.&nbsp; Stepping back from it a bit, I find it hard to believe there's a compelling reason for WANTING the press to report falsehoods as truth, no matter what the subject matter of the story.&nbsp;&nbsp; If we can seriously justify allowing (much less
--0-151148923-1060886923=:28665--