[meteorite-list] RE: Most Expensive Meteorite Ever Sold on eBay (Zagami Mars Meteo rite)

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:33 2004

I remember the aborted Southby's auction of three
Martian meteorites a number of years ago. A large
piece of Nakhla ~90 grams?, a large piece of Zagami
~190 grams?; and a fragment of Chassigny ~12.5 grams?

I was looking for the auction catalog, which was in my
files, so my memory of the weights are in question.

Could this be the same Zagami that was offered in that
auction which failed? Certainly, the price is high,
but considering the possible source, possibly an
infamous dealer in Conneticut, this asking price is in
line with him.

Could the un-named owner of it be the same person that
attempted to auction the pieces some number of years
ago?

$1.2 million was the opening bid price; the auction
failed.

Steve Schoner/ams