[meteorite-list] Extraterrestrial Minerals

From: Thetoprok_at_aol.com <Thetoprok_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:34 2004

--part1_4c.20e793a3.2c6fb394_boundary

Hello List,
I received a beautiful meteorite specimen from Anne Black at Impactika the
other day, (Mt. Tazerzait, 23.21 grams) and I'm amazed at the beautiful chrome
crystals that reside in the vugs of this stone. Upon researching this rock I
came across several references to "extraterrestrial chromite." I have seen these
words before in reference to other minerals that are in meteorites as well.
My question(s) is this; What's the difference between terrestrial and
extraterrestrial minerals? Is there some sort of signature that defines them? Is it
isotopic or chemical?
I'm looking for specifics as opposed to generalities.
Thanks,
Larry

--part1_4c.20e793a3.2c6fb394_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
Hello List,<BR>
I received a beautiful meteorite specimen from Anne Black at Impactika the o=
ther day, (Mt. Tazerzait, 23.21 grams) and I'm amazed at the beautiful chrom=
e crystals that reside in the vugs of this stone. Upon researching this rock=
 I came across several references to "extraterrestrial chromite." I have see=
n these words before in reference to other minerals that are in meteorites a=
s well.<BR>
My question(s) is this; What's the difference between terrestrial and extrat=
errestrial minerals? Is there some sort of signature that defines them? Is i=
t isotopic or chemical?<BR>
I'm looking for specifics as opposed to generalities.<BR>
Thanks,<BR>
Larry</FONT></HTML>

--part1_4c.20e793a3.2c6fb394_boundary--