[meteorite-list] Re: rust and crust

From: Stephen McMann <stephen_mcmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:35 2004

<P>Dear List,</P>
<P>I thought that I would ask a question relating to the never-ending rust thread.&nbsp; I hope that this has not already been fully addressed.&nbsp; As a fairly new collector I may not be familiar enough with the archieves.&nbsp; Those who are tired of rust discussions should not read this.</P>
<P>A large part of my collection consists of Sikhote individuals.&nbsp; Of course one of the many things that makes Sikhotes appealing is that they are usually relatively stable.&nbsp; This combined with their abundence makes it tempting to treat them carelessly.&nbsp; However, I wish to err on the side of caution.&nbsp; I want mine to be in good condition many years from now.</P>
<P>I have taken measures to inhibit the arrival of fresh Cl- and moisture.&nbsp; They currently live in plexiglass cubes with VCI paper and silica dessicant.&nbsp; Several were wiped with a silicone gun cloth.&nbsp; However, I aquired my SAs from a variety of sources and can say little about their histories.&nbsp; I am sure that at least some of them have been held in sweaty hands.&nbsp; One of them (a fairly well oriented individual) is shedding flakes, suggesting that it is sick.</P>
<P>Of course another characteristic of SAs is that individuals are covered with a delicate crust whose characteristics have been determined by some combination of rapid passage through the atmosphere, post-fall weathering in the field, and post-collection treatment.&nbsp; Some crusts are black, rich in magnetite, and often smooth or marked with flow lines.&nbsp; Other crusts are more orange, rich in limonite, and can be avariety of textures.&nbsp; I'll say that both kinds of crusts can be interesting and attractive.&nbsp; On the other hand I don't want a meteorite with a touch of orange to turn into a ball of poo.</P>
<P>I have been intrigued by recent discussions about stabilization treatments such as soaking meteorites in alcohol and perhaps adding some NaOH to help remove CL-.</P>
<P>Now the question.</P>
<P>Can anyone tell me what treatments are best for stabilizing crusted meteorites?&nbsp; In particular, how will NaOH affect the various kinds of crusts that you can find on SAs?</P>
<P>Thank You</P>
<P>Stephen McMann</P>