[meteorite-list] dBay screwed up

From: Mark Miconi <mam602_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:35 2004

In defense of Ebay they were back up in record time, with little or no
database degredation. How many of you can say that about the system were you
work? Try walking into your computer center and pulling the plug with no
warning and see how long it takes to recover. After 10 years in the IT
industry I can tell you that Ebay has their system architecture well
designed. Think for one moment about the size of the server farm they have.

And they stand by it...if at any time they are down for two hours or more
they credit the fees and extend the auctions.

I for one take my hat off to them.

Mark M.