[meteorite-list] formation of pallasites / mesosiderites

From: Robert & Wendi Beauford <wendirob_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:35 2004

Just a thought...
The current explanations for mesosiderite and pallasite formation have never
rung quite right to me... so I was reflecting on it the other day.
Is it possible that pallasites / mesosiderites are low gravity dependant in
their formation? ie that they were formed in a smaller body or bodies in
which the temperatures necessary for differentiation were achieved, but in
which gravity was inadequate to overcome friction and bring about
crust/mantel/core separation, or in the same thought, near the neutral
gravity center of only slightly larger body/bodies in which friction or
temperature/viscosity/density variables prevented or provided inadequate
impetus to 'float' the silicates?
-Robert Beauford