[meteorite-list] Recent significant larger US finds

From: j.divelbiss_at_att.net <j.divelbiss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:36 2004

Mike and others,

Mike, thanx for the response to my inquiry. There maybe a couple more we are
not thinking of, but I believe this demonstrates how difficult it is to find
larger pieces like the Spade piece in the states. I realize there have been
more than several smaller finds(especially in Arizona and California) during
this time...but for the most part, finding any meteorites unrelated to known
falls is down right difficult, even when someone is trying really hard.

I'll keep looking at old stone fence rows, etc. here in the east because you
never know. Also as others have stated lately...good old fashioned education
seminars and sharing with the public can flush them out on occasion, just
like Nininger did in the last century. In the last two years I had two
encounters with people who claimed to have had meteorites passed down to them
that I took a look at. One was a big old iron rock (magnetite granitic gneiss
I suppose), and the other was a "definite iron" that turned out to be a nice
chunk of galena.

Don't give up folks...there are probably many meteorites to be found out
there.

Still looking,

John