[meteorite-list] Re: Elma status

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:36 2004

Right off the top, I don't think anyone needs to get
defensive about this subject. I'm hoping this whole
matter will soon end on a very positive note. Keep in
mind that I'm "pulling" for you guys up there in US
Northwest, and that I've always been supportive of ALL
of your research efforts.

The Elma matter isn't a "problem" in itself, as much
as I see it being a window into other areas that are
of a concern.

For now, forget about the details of these concerns.
Look at the big picture. What I'm going to attempt to
show, in due time, is that there is a common
underlying source for most of the problems we face in
meteoritics. From the top to the bottom. From the
science growing faster than the ranks can be filled,
down to the petty bickering and back-biting among our
members.

And I point to NASA's withdrawal of funds for the
classifying of non-Antarctic meteorites (and the
docile acceptance of this situation by meteoriticists)
as the single source for all of our "problems".

Bob V.