[meteorite-list] Matt's SPADE impact melt breccia

From: Howard Wu <freewu2000_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:36 2004

--0-440927780-1061943149=:11784

Hi list,

As a classification freak myself who alway said it matters not where or when it falls but where it came from, I too have drifted to the dark historic side of the hobby with some of my purchases.

May the GOD ALHKAN save us all!!

Howard Wu

Sharkkb8_at_aol.com wrote:
Bernd:
got my thin L'Aigle slice today that I had bid on on EBay. Wow, how happy
I am about this little L6 - "only" an L6, but the "history-laden" L'Aigle chondrite,
that, along with Barbotan, convinced the last conservative bunch of enlightened
scientists, that stones do fall from the skies. I love this little gem !!!
Gee, Bernd - not so long ago you gently scolded me on the list, about placing ANY significance whatsoever on the "story" of a meteorite (we were discussing Park Forest). You told me that you would tend to side with the more European-view, which attaches significance to the classification of a meteorite, but little or no significance to anything else. You even insisted that you wouldn't value a rock that fell on your birthday in your yard any more than another meteorite of the same specific classification, that might have been anonymously found on an unknown date in an unknown desert locale . So, isn't the above post somewhat of a departure from that position?

So, I guess L'Aigle's story makes it NOT "just another L6"! And to a lot of us, Park Forest isn't "just another L5", which is what I was saying before. Certainly not equating PF and L'Aigle, but at least we agree that the "story" can contribute to the appeal. Welcome to the club! ;-)

    Gregory

---------------------------------
--0-440927780-1061943149=:11784

<DIV>
<DIV>Hi list,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>As a classification freak myself who alway said it matters not where or when&nbsp;it falls but where it came from, I too have drifted to the dark historic side of the hobby with some of my purchases. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>May the GOD ALHKAN save us all!!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Howard Wu<BR><BR><B><I>Sharkkb8_at_aol.com</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid; WIDTH: 100%">
<DIV>
<DIV>Bernd:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px solid"><FONT face=Arial>got my thin L'Aigle slice today that I had bid on on EBay. Wow, how happy<BR>I am about this little L6 - "only" an L6, but the "history-laden" L'Aigle chondrite,<BR>that, along with Barbotan, convinced the last conservative bunch of enlightened<BR>scientists, that stones do fall from the skies. I love this little gem !!!</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV>
<DIV>Gee, Bernd&nbsp; -&nbsp; not so long ago you gently scolded me on the list,&nbsp;about placing ANY&nbsp;significance whatsoever&nbsp;on the "story" of a meteorite (we were discussing Park Forest).&nbsp; You told me that you would tend to side with&nbsp;the more&nbsp;European-view, which&nbsp;attaches significance to the <U>classification</U> of a meteorite, but little or no significance to anything else.&nbsp;&nbsp;You even&nbsp;insisted that you wouldn't value a rock that fell on your birthday in your yard any more than&nbsp;another meteorite&nbsp;<EM>of the same specific classification</EM>, that might have been anonymously found on an unknown date in an unknown desert locale .&nbsp; So, isn't the above post somewhat of a&nbsp;departure from that&nbsp;position?&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>So, I guess&nbsp;L'Aigle's story makes it NOT "just another L6"!&nbsp;&nbsp; And to a lot of us, Park Forest isn't "just another&nbsp;L5", which is what I was saying before.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Certainly not equating PF and L'Aigle, but at least we agree that&nbsp;the "story" can contribute to the appeal.&nbsp; &nbsp;Welcome to the club!&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ;-)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
--0-440927780-1061943149=:11784--