[meteorite-list] Spade Versus Estacado

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:37 2004

Hello again,

I just studied my Estacado thin section (that I purchased from
AL Mitterling in 1999) under crossed polars and compared
the extinction behavior of its olivine crystals to the description
given in A. Rubin's paper: " ... olivine in Spade currently exhibits
undulose extinction and lacks planar fractures, characteristic of
shock stage S2."

The olivine grains in my Estacado thin section exhibit sharp optical
extinction which is consistent with shock-stage S1, and Estacado has
been assigned a shock stage of S1 (see also Matt's comment). This
result would preclude a possible pairing of Spade and Estacado.

Bernd