[meteorite-list] Spade Versus Estacado

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:37 2004

Dear List Members,

If somebody wants to sell an Estacado specimen and a Spade specimen to us at
the Denver show we would be happy to donate them to a world class researcher
who will also be at the show for comparative purposes. We are in the
process of working with several laboratories to sort out NWA pairings
(mainly the stony-irons) and have provided several samples to each facility.
We have found that shock and weathering levels amongst other things are
variable even from the same strewn field in many cases.

The evenly disbursed, fine-grained metal gives Estacado the appearance that
there is more metal than there actually is. I have only seen this texture in
one other H chondrite and that is NWA 1792 before looking at Spade. Add the
darkened matrix and you have a pretty stunning looking meteorite. After
cutting thousands of NWA meteorites I have only seen this texture once, in
my opinion making it rare. I think all suspected pairings should be
investigated to keep the books clean, so to speak.

All the best,

Adam Hupe