[meteorite-list] Spade Versus Estacado

From: j.divelbiss_at_att.net <j.divelbiss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:37 2004

Adam, Michael and especially Matt,

I received a part slice of Spade from Matt today and I have to say that it is
an extraordinary meteorite. In my collection I have nice slices of melts that
include Chico(L6), Sahara 98362(H6), Dhofar 010(H6), Gao?(H5? from Eric
Olsen), and a nice small cut up individual from NWA(unclassified) that are
all superb. Spade is easily nicer than all of these materials. I do not have
Cat Mountain but from the pictures I've seen, Spade is nicer than it in my
opinion. Spade does not appear to have areas that are more melted than other
areas like Cat Mountain and Dhofar 010 do.

The intimate mix of lots of nice metal with the blackened matrix is just
beautiful. Especially the polished side. The fractured edges have more of a
glassy gray-metal look to it. The vesicles are evident but not as numerous as
some melts. My piece has some vein-like areas where the metal is
discontinuous but definitely in a pattern. Relic chondrules and inclusions
are few and far between. (a thin section would be a better way to check for
those)

If Estacado is paired with Spade then it must be a favorite meteorite for
others. Spade sure looks like unique material...though my experience is
somewhat limited.

Thanx for the opportunity Matt,

John