[meteorite-list] Meteor Crater flyover + new fires in Arizona?

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:38 2004

Hi All,

Been gone skiing in Aspen since Thanksgiving, but I see the list
was very quiet while I was away, so for once it didn't take
three hours of reading to catch up. Couple things to report:
while flying from Aspen to Phoenix, we flew just east of
Meteor Crater so I was able to get a few good aerial pictures --
at least I hope they turn out okay. Will post a link once I
get the film (yes "film" -- still no digital camera!) developed.

I was ready with my camera to shoot the crater only because
we had passed just east of it on our outgoing flight. There
was one difference flying back yesterday, however. Fires.
Many of them. At least 4 separate fires burning to the southwest
of the crater and east of Flagstaff. The smoke was blowing
toward Phoenix. Looked like it was west of where the bad
fires burned (last year?) in Show Low. Haven't heard anything
on the news about these latest fires, but I'll be doing a CNN
search next.

I have a bright, fragmenting fireball report to post in my
California has reported it -- it occurred at 6:41pm PST on
Thanksgiving... --Rob