[meteorite-list] Classic meteorites - my Top 10

From: j.divelbiss_at_att.net <j.divelbiss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:39 2004

Hello all,

On a quiet snowy night here in Pennsylvania I had a thought about "classic"
meteorites. My first question was...what is a classic meteorite? Lots of
answers I'm sure to that...but I came up with my own simple set of Rules.

Popular, nice material, in lots of collections, stays in good condition, rich
history, can be acquired if desired, should stay a favorite, etc.

Here is my own list and ranking.

Top 10 Classic Meteorites

1. Sikhote-Alin: an iron from a Russian fall in 1947
2. Canyon Diablo: an iron found near Meteor Crater, USA
3. Allende: a carbonaceous chondrite fall in Mexico in 1969
4. Gibeon: an iron found in Africa
5. Gao: a stone from a 1960 fall in Burkino Faso
6. Murchison: an awesome carbonaceous fall in Australia in 1969
7. Esquel: a pallasite type stony-iron found in South America
8. Zagami: a 1962 Martian fall in Nigeria, Africa
9. Henbury: an iron found in Australia
10. Vaca Muerta: a mesosiderite type stony-iron found in South America

Try your own list on us... putting Gao at #5 is probably too high with my
list.

John